Let’s Talk About the Sony NGP (or PSP2)

After months (if not years) of speculation, Sony has revealed the successor to the PSP. It’s currently called the NGP, though I think it’s silly that they didn’t just call it the PSP2 out of the gate. If you’re looking for nitty gritty hardware specs or a listing of upcoming games, there are other outlets that will do a much better job of covering that type of stuff than I ever will. In short, it’s roughly as powerful as a PS3. It has two analog sticks, a touch screen and a rear touch pad. It also has an Uncharted game coming out for it.

If you’re already up on the latest NGP news though, let’s talk about it.

Are you excited for this device? How do you think it will stack up against the 3DS and the iPhone? Are there any games that have already been revealed that you are looking forward to? Share your thoughts in the comments!

9 thoughts on “Let’s Talk About the Sony NGP (or PSP2)

1. Gil January 28, 2011 / 11:43 AM

I actually am excited for it but am more interested in what the price point will be. The dual analog setup will definitely be a boon for the system. You very well can’t play a FPS without it. Well you could but not well. I’m glad that they completely did away with the UMD format. It wasn’t a bad format, it just wasn’t supported. I’m also glad that the PSP2 (NGP) will be able to load up your PSP Downloaded games. The transition will be much easier for me since I currently own a PSPGo. I think the physical size is a little much. Reminds me of the Atari Lynx. Oh it’s portable.. but would you really want to carry one around? I’d have to get a man bag or messenger bag if that were the case and I really don’t want to carry one of those around. Well I’m still trying to keep up with the news. I’m interested but we’ll see how interested after they announce a $600 price point or something crazy like that.

• Jett January 28, 2011 / 8:01 PM

Thanks for the comment Gil!

Dual analog sticks are a huge plus for that system, especially for the types of experiences they’re trying to push on that platform. No one is complaining about having only one analog stick on the 3DS because the games on it don’t really require it (for the most part). There may also be a Nintendo bias at play, but that’s a different discussion.

I also agree that size will once again be a factor. I already find the regular PSP to be too big and this is even bigger. Factor in a case to carry it in and there’s no way you’re fitting that in your pocket.

As for price, I think it’s going to be scary. I’m already uneasy about the $250 price tag on the 3DS, and the details of the NGP make it sound like that will easily eclipse that. Who would be the audience for a large, super-powerful dedicated gaming handheld device when you could put that money towards an iPhone/iPod Touch?

2. Mike February 5, 2011 / 11:14 PM

I’ve been waiting for this system for a while, sony had to do something to compete with the iphone games.

• Jett February 6, 2011 / 9:49 AM

The iPhone is a serious threat to all other gaming hand-held devices. It has the market share, it has really cheap games and every day, it’s getting more hardcore games. Have you seen Dead Space on the iPhone? I get the feeling that within the next few years, the iOS platform is considered the go-to place for hand-held gaming and whatever gaming-only portable Sony and Nintendo puts out will be old news.

While I think going after the iPhone is a smart idea, I’m not sure a device this big and potentially this expensive is going to do it. Sony hasn’t done a good job with their PSP Minis so far and I can’t see anyone buying this thing to play $1-$5 games, especially when the Apple App Store is getting ‘real’ games like Dead Space and Street Fighter for under $10.

• Gil February 7, 2011 / 10:14 AM

It’s funny cause I don’t feel like the iPad or the iPhone are competing with other gaming handhelds. I mean the touchscreen bit just doesn’t seem like a viable control scheme for games but that’s just my opinion. I don’t think that the experience could be matched using those inputs. I’ve had a touchscreen phone for about 4 months now and I really am finding it to be rather annoying in many situations. Buttons just seem to be more useful.

• Jett February 8, 2011 / 10:10 PM

Controls will always be a factor. As long as Apple goes all touch screen, then it will never run hardcore games as well as a dedicated gaming device. There are games that do control great on it though, especially the ones that are developed from the ground-up with the device in mind. I don’t care that Angry Birds or Cut the Rope don’t have buttons and certain games like Street Fighter on the iPhone do a great job of compensating for the lack of physical buttons.

Where this really matters is when it comes to pocket space and time commitment. The iPhone may not allow for the control fidelity of a PSP or DS, but I’m going to carry the thing around no matter what because it’s my phone, my music player and my on-the-go web browser, among other things. It also happens to have some great games in its own right. If I don’t want to carry around two devices, do I take the dedicated gaming device? Or do I take the somewhat less capable gaming machine that does way more and is necessary to have with me? Unless I have extended down time on the go, I’m fine with just the iPhone.

May I ask what touch screen phone you have?

3. Gil February 9, 2011 / 4:33 PM

I just have a Samsung Seek. Pretty basic touchscreen phone. I just use it to make calls and text. From time to time I’ll use the music mode but that’s about it.

You have a very good point. I would much prefer to just carry around a phone with minor gaming capabilities to pass some time rather than having to carry around a phone and dedicated gaming device. I admit that I carry my phone and pspGo around at all times and to somewhat justify it, I use my pspGo carry case as my wallet as well. Overall I’d like a better solution but I’ll deal for now. The Go is small enough to fit in my pocket even with the carry case. With the NGP that would obviously not be an option.

• Jett February 9, 2011 / 7:03 PM

How is the Seek as a gaming device? I briefly did some digging and I couldn’t find what OS it’s running. Does it have a lot to choose from?

Up until I got an iPod Touch, my DS was an essential to have on me at all times. But then the iPod Touch got pretty good and I substituted my DS for that, which I would carry with my Razr.

When it comes to that debate of “dedicated gaming hand-held vs. all-in-one devices”, the dedicated gaming hand-held is going to have a hard time keeping up with a ‘good enough’ smartphone or mp3 player that does a whole bunch more. I’m very intrigued to see how this all shakes out.

4. Gil February 10, 2011 / 12:07 PM

Ummm well I never even bothered to see if it is able to play any games. It’s an entry level touch screen phone with a slide out keyboard for texting. I’ve never even attempted to go online with it to download any applicable games.

Anyway it will be interesting to see how the competition will pan out. Wonder which side will win or will we just end up with a mish-mashed handheld device that does everything but doesn’t do anything well.