Out Now: Persona 4 Arena

Over the past few months, Persona 4 Arena has been building a lot of buzz in the hardcore fighting game community. Created by the same team that brought us Guilty Gear and BlazBlue, the early word-on-the-street has been very positive. I have no prior experience with the Persona franchise, but I’m always interested in trying out a good fighting game.

Having played BlazBlue in the past, I’ve discovered that in general, the Arc System Works style of fighting game is generally a bit too complicated for me. In particular, I have a really hard time wrapping my head around all of its character-specific gameplay mechanics. For instance, in BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger, the 12 characters played so wildly different to me, that it felt like I was playing a different fighting game each time I changed characters.

From what I’ve seen and heard about Persona 4 Arena, they’ve simplified the mechanics greatly, which is a big plus for me. Also a bonus is the game’s supposedly 30-40 hour long single player mode. Ideally, I’d like to be good enough to hold my own online, but if I’m not, and still want to experience the game, an extensive single player experience is appreciated. If it’s close to the quality of the Mortal Kombat single player experience, I’d be happy.

As of this second, I’m heavily debating whether or not to pick this up today. On one hand, I’m always excited to try out new fighting games. It’s simplified mechanics could make it the easiest Arc System Works game for me to get into. If I suck at it, at least there’s a huge single player mode to keep me busy. This could also be an opportunity to write more about it for In Third Person or Splitkick. On the other hand, if it doesn’t grab me, then I spent a lot of money on a game that isn’t my cup of tea; something I think I’ve done too often. If I do choose to pick it up today, I’m sure you’ll see more of my thoughts on it here on In  Third Person. If you’re planning on picking it up, or have played it, let’s discuss in the comments!

Buy Persona 4 Arena Now on Amazon.com

See More at the In Third Person Store

11 thoughts on “Out Now: Persona 4 Arena

1. handsnface August 7, 2012 / 4:37 PM

Most places in the U.S. have a fighting game scene that gets together at least once a month. Check out a fighting game forum at a site such as shoryuken.com and look for the section “regional matchmaking.”

You can meet the local players and try the game in a friendly environment before spending the money yourself 🙂

• Jett August 7, 2012 / 4:45 PM

Thanks for the comment!

Though I am not located in the US, I am familiar with my local scene, and that is an option. My only concern with that route is that I’d then be surrounded by day 1 experts who will body me for free. Still will consider it. 🙂

• handsnface August 7, 2012 / 4:53 PM

Day 1 experts, funny LOL.

Well, it’s an option to try the game for free. I’m doing it tomorrow here in NYC. The game looks very solid and people are raving about the robust story mode.

Also, I can tell you the game mechanics seem really cool, but it will not be an easy game to play without putting some time into training mode (not a lot, just some).

• Jett August 7, 2012 / 8:55 PM

You watch…those BlazBlue and Guilty Gear players are going to own P4A for the next little while.

I’ve been following a lot of the video coverage and the game does look hot.

Also, I’m pretty jealous that you’re in NYC. You play with the likes of Yipes, Sanford, Dieminion, etc?

• handsnface August 7, 2012 / 8:57 PM

Ha, not yet. I just got here five weeks ago. Everything has been about looking for a job.

Tomorrow, I’m going to the Big Two gathering they have every week in Brooklyn. That will be my first time meeting them in NYC but I’ve met them at tournaments, cool guys

• Jett August 8, 2012 / 12:04 AM

Where are you originally from, and what are you looking to get a job in, if I may ask?

Also, I’m very familiar with Big Two. Watch the streams all the time. Had the opportunity to compete with some of those New York guys when they came up to Toronto for T12 and Toryuken. I’m still traumatized by the whooping I got from Marlinpie on the live stream.

• handsnface August 8, 2012 / 1:39 PM

I’m from the state of Tennessee. I’m a fairly decent player but have been unable to give some serious dedication to fighters because of college which I just finished.

I’m looking for work in something as part of a writing or editorial staff. Networking has proven to be extremely helpful; we’ll see what happens.

I wish I could practice before tonight but I’ll have to just cross my fingers and hope for the best 🙂

• Jett August 8, 2012 / 3:48 PM

Good luck in both establishing your career, and representing at Big Two! I’d love to hear how your experience went.

2. handsnface August 7, 2012 / 6:22 PM

Also, check streams such as this one:

This one is 24 hours to celebrate the release of the game, nothing but P4 all day. You watch people play to your heart’s content