Gaming-Related Christmas Gifts I Received: 2011 Edition

Hope your holidays were full of cheer, turkey and great gifts. At my age, Christmas is definitely more about giving than receiving, though I did receive some excellent gifts this year from the ones I love. Since this is a gaming blog most of the time, I thought I’d share with you what I found under my Christmas tree. I’d love to hear what you got for Christmas in the comments, too!

Ico and Shadow of the Colossus Collection

Super Mario 3D Land

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Skylanders: Spyro’s Adventure

This game was not on my original wish list of games I wanted, but not for a lack of desire. I’ve been curious to try this game out since its release, though the whole kiddie stigma around the game has kept me away. However, I guess Steff got tired of me talking about trying it someday, as she got me the starter pack and her sister got me a Dino-Rang figure. So far, I’m digging this game so far, but I’ll save my impressions on Skylanders and other games I got for future posts.

What did you find under your Christmas tree?

15 thoughts on “Gaming-Related Christmas Gifts I Received: 2011 Edition

1. JoshuaEvo January 6, 2012 / 1:44 AM

Nice haul, Jett! I scored the LoZ 3DS, King of Fighters XIII and a new arcade stick from Eightarc.

• Jett January 6, 2012 / 7:01 AM

That’s a pretty sweet haul too. I’ve heard a lot of great things about KoF XIII and I know there’s a demo out I could try. However, I’ve yet to figure out how to play an SNK game. I have KoF XII, which I know isn’t the greatest, but I can’t wrap my head around how that game works. I have the iPhone KoF as well. I can totally respect how great that game is, but once again, the KoF mechanics have been difficult for me to grasp to date. If I were to put in the time in the lab to learn, I’m sure I’d make progress, but staying sharp in Street Fighter and Marvel takes up so much of my fighting game time.

How’s the Eightarc treating you?

• JoshuaEvo January 6, 2012 / 6:46 PM

It’s a pretty sweet stick. Definitely my first experience with non-Sanwa (Seimitsu) parts and I have to say I’m pretty torn between preferences. KoF XIII is a pretty darn good game in its own right. It’s got a different feel on the links from SFIV (actually, it feels kind of CvS2 A-Groove-ish) and all the cancelling and meter management make for some interesting tactical decisions, sorta like playing Vergil. 🙂

• Jett January 7, 2012 / 12:20 AM

That’s good to hear (Eightarc and KoF). I’ll at the very least try out the KoF XIII demo.

Out of curiosity, have you partaken in any fighting game tournaments?

2. JoshuaEvo January 7, 2012 / 12:18 PM

I have but I’m admittedly not that great at them. I played in a Tight or Fight, NCR 9, Fight for Relief and some scattered GameStop tournaments here and there. Nothing on like an Evo or CanadaCup scale just yet.

• Jett January 8, 2012 / 1:20 AM

That’s more tournaments than me. I’d also argue that NCR is a big deal if the likes of Daigo have been there before. Have you played against the likes of Filipino Champ and Ricky Ortiz, two of Norcal’s finest?

3. JoshuaEvo January 8, 2012 / 5:09 AM

Haha it’s one of my favorite tourneys, that’s for sure. I’ve not played directly against Ricky or Champ but I used to work with Ricky and always pestered him for Marvel advice, haha. He’s always super cool.

• Jett January 8, 2012 / 9:47 AM

Cool story. I’m kind of jealous that you live in one of the fighting game meccas and have stories like that. My claim to fame at this point is facing off against MarlinPie in MvC 3 on at T12. That footage was proof of terrorist acts, which is why Spooky got his computer confiscated by homeland security when he crossed the border back to NY…or at least I like to think that’s what happened 😛

• Jett January 8, 2012 / 4:51 PM

There is new footage of me fighting Sherryjenix. I have a post lined up covering it tomorrow, or you can check out her feed and her reactions to fighting me here http://www.twitch.tv/sherryjenix/b/304893711 fast forward to 0:44, 1:01, 1:06 and 1:09.

• JoshuaEvo January 9, 2012 / 12:06 AM

Awesome stuff, I gotta check out that stream. Whoa, MarlinPie? How’d the match go? Haha, oh yeah, I guess the DHC thought “Stream Monsters” was a much more sinister sounding term than it actually is 🙂

• Jett January 9, 2012 / 12:09 PM

The match with MarlinPie…I’ve taken a number of beatings in my day, but that one was arguably the worst. 6,000+ watching on the stream, Mr. Quotes and Combofiend clowing on me on commentary, stream monsters going in and the crowd dead silent as MarlinPie made a combo video out of me. The worst part was I had opportunities to take out his Viper and I dropped every single combo due to tournament nerves. He did beat Combofiend that day to win the tournament, so I don’t feel as bad about losing to the eventual champ. Still, the drubbing was a bit traumatizing.

4. JoshuaEvo January 9, 2012 / 2:47 PM

O_O Ouch… that’s a hell of a day, there.

Probably should have asked this in the beginning but for the sake of checking out further tourneys and players, what name to you go by in tournaments?

• Jett January 9, 2012 / 3:01 PM

Look out for JettFTW on tournament streams, SRKLive and whatever other streams may be out there. There’s two tournaments I’m planning on going to: Smash Up II (Feb 4) and Toryuken. Don’t know much about Toryuken other than it’s in May and is an official EVO tournament season stop.

• JoshuaEvo January 11, 2012 / 6:16 PM

Good stuff, I’ll make sure to keep an eye out while I’m checking out streams. Good luck at your upcoming tourneys too, sir! Are you planning on going to Evo to compete? Also, I kinda want to get your stance on the whole comeback mechanic thing since I’m asking a lot of people in the FGC on their opinions of it. I have a blog entry @ http://bit.ly/zjDBGN if you have some time and wouldn’t mind checking it out. 🙂

• Jett January 12, 2012 / 7:43 AM

I’d love to go to EVO someday, but right now I can’t justify the cost of travel an accomodations just to go to a fighting game tournament. Getting over there from east coast Canada is not cheap. If I was already there on vacation or for some other reason, I’d be at EVO in a heartbeat.