3 Tips to Improve Your Logitech C920 and Logitech BRIO Image Quality

[UPDATE: Seeing a lot of confusion in the comments regarding where I toggle the settings. I use these cameras with my OBS setup, so I make all the changes within OBS. If you’re not using OBS, you can try Logitech’s webcam software. Admittedly, my experience with Logitech’s software is awful and I quickly deleted it when it wouldn’t give me the level of control I needed. However, if you’re not using your camera within the context of streaming or video recording, it might be your only option.]

The Logitech C920 is a great starter webcam. The Logitech BRIO is arguably the best webcam on the market. Even so, I noticed issues with my image with regards to my skin looking washed out and my overall image looking a bit grainy.

Turns out that both of those issues can be fixed by getting more hands-on with the camera’s settings. In case you’re looking to squeeze more out of your Logitech webcams, check out these tips!

1. Manually set your white balance

By default, both Logitech cameras appear very washed out. In your settings, uncheck auto white balance and find a setting that best matches the colours of your skin and your environment. You might still need to add additional colour correction to get it perfect, but manually tweaking your white balance should get you way closer to an accurate image. The above video shows how much more accurate your image can look with better white balancing.

2. Manually set your exposure

Exposure controls the amount of light going into your image. The challenge with the Logitech cameras – particularly the BRIO – is that its auto exposure tends to blow out the image while also struggling to maintain a consistent picture. Worse yet, the higher the exposure, the more the camera lags!

On both cameras, turn off auto exposure and lower it to help create a clearer picture. For me, the magic number is -6, with anything at -5 or up causing lag. If you have the slider that doesn’t show numerical values, slide it downward and make note of your frame rate relative to the darkness of your image. What you may notice is that your picture gets much darker as you reduce exposure. This is where tip #3 comes in.

3. Turn off RightLight or Low Light Compensation

RightLight or Low Light Compensation automatically brightens your shot if you’re broadcasting from a dark room. While it will brighten your image, it can add a grainy look while also adding more processing strain to your camera. Turn these off. If you need to adjust the brightness, manually raise the gain slider until you get it to where it needs to be. That said, the best way to adjust brightness while maintaining image quality and minimizing strain is…

4. Use lots of light

All cameras benefit from having as much light as possible. In the case of Logitech’s webcams, they need a lot of external light if you want to get the absolute most out of them. Otherwise, you’re relying on the camera’s auto settings that distort the image and add lag.

Ideally, you have LED panels or photo-studio quality lights aimed at you from multiple angles to brighten your face and eliminate shadows. If you don’t have the luxury of leveraging studio quality lights, fear not! For daytime creators, take advantage of the sunlight near a window. You can get also get away with strategically-pointed desk lamps or other light sources in your house. If the light emitting from your lamps is too bright, you can use diffuser paper, sheets, or plastic tablecloths from the dollar store to soften it. Experiment with any light sources you have in your house before investing in anything else.

Wish I had known this when I bought my first streaming camera in 2018, but it’s better late than never! These tips have helped me get a much better picture out of my Logitech webcams and they just might help you too. Good luck!

Buy the Logitech C920 Now From Amazon.com

[Purchasing through this Amazon affiliate link gives me a small commission without adding any extra cost or effort to you. Thanks for your support!]

14 thoughts on “3 Tips to Improve Your Logitech C920 and Logitech BRIO Image Quality

1. Andrew E July 2, 2020 / 3:23 PM

Helpful tips, but HOW do you get to the Properties window you show?? That’s the part I can’t figure out. The video also starts being in a settings app without saying how to get there. Help!

• Jett July 2, 2020 / 3:35 PM

I’m actually in the middle of a PC rebuild at the moment and can’t actually check to confirm. However, I’m pretty sure it’s something along the lines of selecting your camera in the Source list, right click, then select Properties. Then on that next screen, there’s another Properties button. The C920 and the BRIO have different properties screens. I use the BRIO screenshot in the post but the C920 version in the video. Sorry I can’t 100% confirm at the moment, but I hope that helps!

• Mary Remmes December 2, 2020 / 10:03 AM

What is the source list that you refer to? I’m trying to ge to the properties window but can’t find it anywhere.

2. Lauren Wunderlich July 24, 2020 / 12:00 AM

The new software has it, but tbh, the white balance auto adjuster resets constantly. So there is really no point to change it unless you want to fix it roughly 12-15 times per workday. Im actually just buying a new camera since it is just so terrible.

• Web 907 February 25, 2021 / 3:11 PM

I agree. These cameras are over-rated. I have had exposure issues with the c922 since day one and the settings for the camera are useless. Can’t even lock the exposure so if you move around the exposure is constantly changing. My laptops built-in web cam has worse picture but is more reliable.

3. Steve Kirsch August 7, 2020 / 9:34 PM

Logitech does a great job of hiding these critical controls from users. They are accessible in OBS Broadcaster. Logitech Camera Settings (a hard to find download) and Logitech Capture both don’t provide exposure control. Once I adjusted the exposure, I got out of the mud. But the exposure values are very CRUDE…-3, -4, -5…. you can’t go anywhere in between. Ugh.

4. David November 14, 2020 / 1:02 PM

I too am looking for the settings like you show. The c920 is so highly rated, but I don’t know how it gets those ratings… The auto brightness is terrible and Logitech Capture doesn’t let you turn that off.

Please help if you can.. these tips are good, I just can’t apply half of them with the limited software logitech gives us.

• Jett November 14, 2020 / 1:05 PM

The Logitech software is awful. I deleted it long ago. I make these adjustments within OBS settings.

The c920 gets its ratings for being a decent starter camera for the price. However, it’s a very old camera and webcam tech has improved some. And yes, configuring it can be a pain, but it was considered one of the best for its time.

5. Steve March 28, 2021 / 10:02 AM

I have both camera side by side – c920 and Brio, and both are awful. I have no idea where the ratings and $200 price tag for Brio come from. In age of excellent cell phone cameras looking at this horrible image just makes one wonder “are they broken”? No, they are not, they are just very bad. The only good thing about Brio is a better mic, Web conference with Brio sounds good, and no echo, c920 mic can’t be used with speakers at all, and has bad echo and bad quality of sound.

6. Carlo March 30, 2021 / 8:53 PM

Maybe some C920 actually work fine, but my one has terrible colors and there is no way to improve them. Manual color balance is udeless as there is a huge jump in color from washed out blue to brilliant red going from 3211 to 3212 on the white balance scale. I am afraid I will have to throw this cam in the trash and buy a new one (not Logitech for sure).

7. JD April 21, 2021 / 3:41 PM

These instructions are useless, and really unhelpful, when you’ve missed-out so many of the vital steps that are clearly needed by people who are trying to fix their Logitech cameras.

My problem is that my camera picture is useless in low light and evening, and due to the layout of my home, I cannot move the camera or change the lights that I have. I don’t have thousands of pounds to spend on getting lights that light my face like a portrait model on a hi-tech photoshoot, so why can’t you please explain how we access these mythical settings you say help us fix the problems with our Logitech cameras?

8. barbie Tankersley June 13, 2021 / 10:41 PM

What did you set your white balance on in OBS studio?

• Jett June 13, 2021 / 10:56 PM

It’s going to depend on your lighting situation. Play around with it until you get a picture representative of your room. I use 5,000 but I encourage you to find the setting that works best for your environment

• Barbie June 14, 2021 / 12:50 AM

thanks a lot. this article has been a great resource