Street Fighter IV: Volt and Rage Quitters

Over the past few days, I’ve spent quite a bit of time with Street Fighter IV: Volt’s online multiplayer. I’ve been doing so because I want to unlock Akuma, which can be done either by playing 100 online matches or beat the game with all 18 characters. On paper, 100 online matches is easier to complete than 144 matches against the computer. Boy, was I wrong.

Almost every match I’ve played where I was in a position to win, ended in a rage quit. At one point, I had played against 10 straight people who all rage quit before I could win. Never have I experienced a game that where the player base was as filled with rage-quitting babies as this game. As someone trying to unlock Akuma by recording 100 matches, it doesn’t help my cause, as matches don’t get recorded if someone rage quits.

Is this a symptom of the Street Fighter player base as a whole? Heck no. I’ve played hundreds of hours of the console versions on both XBOX 360 and PlayStation 3, and rage quitters are a rarity. For research purposes, I even played a few hours of the 3DS game online and virtually no one rage quit.

Is it a fault of the iPhone game itself? Kind of. Unlike the console and 3DS versions, it does not do as good of a job of preventing rage quitters from doing their thing. For one, you can’t preview an opponent’s disconnection rate before the fight starts. This can only been seen after backing out of online play and looking at the Card List. I’ve gone back after the fact to see that many of the opponents I’ve faced have dropped out of over half of their matches. I can’t count on two hand the number of players I’ve played that have quit 75% of their matches early. It’s embarrassing. Secondly, player’s records are displayed on the versus screen before each fight. Because their record is publicly displayed in that manner, it drives a ton of people to rage quit in order to keep that record pristine. I fought one guy with a 100-0 record, and immediately knew he was a rage quitter. Lo and behold, he quit before I could polish him off in the second round.

Even if the iPhone game had the same anti-rage quitting measures as the other versions, I don’t think it would be enough. I’m fairly certain that the rage quit epidemic that Volt suffers is mainly driven by the players itself. The primary audience that plays Volt is not the same audience that plays the ‘real’ versions of the game. This audience is a far more casual group of people, who aren’t as invested in learning the ins-and-outs of the game, and who don’t have much in the way of online fighting game experience.  For whatever reason, this group of people also can’t seem to take any losses whatsoever.

I know this type of behaviour isn’t new to online gaming, but what especially boggles my mind is the game that this behaviour is taking place in. Call me ignorant, but I don’t think Street Fighter IV: Volt warrants the crazed protection of one’s win/loss record. It’s not like there’s a hardcore competitive scene around the iPhone game and you could be the iPhone version of Daigo. Even if you were, who cares? It’s only the iPhone version that people simply play for fun. There will never be an EVO-equivalent for the iPhone game. What are these people trying to achieve? If you want to be super-serious about the game, go play the arcade or console versions. You’re not even going to impress your friends by having a win-heavy record on your iPhone copy of Street Fighter.

At this point, unless you have friends who will do friendly matches with you, I think online play for Street Fighter IV: Volt is a lost cause, which is a shame. The only games that will likely go on your record are losses, as any hopes of you winning will most likely be dashed by a sore loser who will just rage quit. As much as I love the idea of online play in my iPhone version of Street Fighter IV, the player base has completely turned me off from wanting to try it ever again. In order for this experience to get better, the community around the game is going to have to grow up, which I don’t see happening anytime soon.

21 thoughts on “Street Fighter IV: Volt and Rage Quitters

1. AIMR8 July 13, 2011 / 4:36 PM

Just made someone rage quit and immediately googled this topic lol. Agree with everything you said. Good post. I have double loss to win ratio and dunno, doesn’t bother me in the least.

Dont give up on the online play tho. You still do find guys who play and will continue round after round, win or lose. Whatever it is, I love this game!

• Jett July 13, 2011 / 4:48 PM

The game itself is awesome. Best fighting game on the platform (though it has King of Fighters nipping at its heels). It’s just the community that ruins the online play. This really seems like a problem, as this post is gaining a crazy amount of traffic from people like you who are fed up of the rage quitters. Power to you for being one of the few good people in the community willing to play a match to the end.

2. Michael July 15, 2011 / 12:50 PM

All the rage quitters really ruin the online for me. I’ll take a loss if the opponent outplays me, but because of rage quitters I’ve lost many deserving wins. I just want my well earned wins, nothing more. It’s an extreme shame that rage quitters don’t understand how much their actions affect the game as a whole. Great post, I completely agree.

3. iki488 July 19, 2011 / 7:50 AM

I also agree. I cannot count how many wins I lost because of rage quitters. Also, you cannot choose your opponent so most of the time you get one with a crappy connection…

Hope Capcom will do something at least to improve it.

If anyone is interested, my gamecenter name is Guken and I’m an old and fair player.

4. iki488 July 19, 2011 / 7:52 AM

Oh, and they really need to get rid of this assistance sp thing… Players become spammers… Especially bad players. Not hard to beat them by not enjoying playing that way.

• Jett July 19, 2011 / 9:05 AM

Thanks for the comments!

The one thing I don’t see eye-to-eye with you on is the special move assist button. On one hand, it does empower scrubs by giving them access to special moves that maybe they couldn’t pull off on a controller or fightstick. However, I strongly believe that the iPhone isn’t precise enough to handle hardcore Street Fighter play. Throwing fireballs and executing charge moves is a bit more inconsistent than using a controller, but doing uppercut motions are almost impossible. I think that the core control scheme hurts hardcore Street Fighter players more than it aids scrubby players. I much prefer the special move assist button, as it lets me play the game almost exactly as I would with a fightstick without having to worry nearly as much about silly execution errors caused by the controls. Players who also use those buttons don’t get a distinct advantage outside of more consistent execution, unlike the 3DS game, where Guile can walk forward and throw a sonic boom without charging.

The cheesy spammers would be cheesy spammers no matter what control scheme you gave them. Just expose some of the obvious holes in their tactics for the easy win.

5. Ironkeed August 1, 2011 / 3:13 PM

Ahh!! I’m a little late, but I’m glad I stumbled across this post! I agree with you 100% about this game and it’s errors.I’ve been playing street fighter since I was a kid and the game mechanics are practically the same. I use mainly strategy and mind games to beat my opponents, sort of like a chess game. I don’t blame rage quitters for leaving the game early or cheating me out of some wins. I’m more about the experience. That’s how I learn. Spammers? Pff!! Please! Its Just another challenge for me. I’m no rage quitter! Never have been and never will!! If you want an experienced game player… Add me on game center:

Ironkeed

6. RyoSaeba August 14, 2011 / 5:24 AM

Wait… aren’t you being a little hypocritical here because you’re saying you don’t really care about your win/loss record but you care if someone rage quits?

Why care if they rage quit if you don’t care about your record? Since it only affects your win/loss record, there’s no need to care about it. Am I missing something?

• Jett August 14, 2011 / 1:58 PM

You are missing something.

I just want matches to end fair and square, regardless of the outcome. If I were fine with rage quitting, then I’d be fine with the New York Yankees walking off the field and going home when they’re down by 20 runs so that by technicality, they don’t lose.

7. Stewart Cook October 20, 2011 / 10:26 AM

For the record I’m a ‘spam’ quitter. If I enter a game and it’s Akuma I know I’m in for a fest of firebiall dodging. I got better shit to do with my time and so one round in, if that’s the case, I’m out.

Yeah there’s tactics to beat that stuff, but I have two points to counter that argument.
    1. There’s not easy to do without a proper arcade stick.
    2. HOW BORING.

A bit of spamming is expected, it’s been going on forever, but fuck me it’s just out of control on the iPhone.

• Jett October 21, 2011 / 9:31 AM

Thanks for the comment Stewart!

You have valid points. The iPhone SFIV community as a whole does lean towards the stupid and cheap tactics to win. Yes, it can be difficult to counter their tactics if you don’t have a control method you’re comfortable with. And yes, it is boring. If you feel that crap competition is worth quitting out of, that’s your call. I still don’t necessarily agree with quitting early even in your case (I still prefer to exploit the holes in their cheap tactics and beat them to a pulp), but we can agree to disagree 🙂

8. L December 15, 2011 / 2:15 PM

Just ridiculous in how many players are using akuma and just spamming fireball then when you finaly close to them and then they just spam Shoryuken. I regret buying this game.

• Jett December 15, 2011 / 6:33 PM

Thanks for the comment!

I recently lost all of my Street Fighter IV: Volt save data, which meant I had to start at zero when I went back online. You’re right, there’s a ton of people using Akuma doing the same gimmicks. Not to say that the console version is a shining example of character diversity that won’t resort to the cheapest characters and tactics, but it’s crazy to see the majority of the Volt player base resort to this.

As a serious Street Fighter IV player, I’d even argue that this focus is in the wrong place if their goal is to abuse cheap characters and tactics for wins, as I’d argue that at least Yun and Fei Long are better choices to achieve that.

While I still love the game, I almost never play it online, as the community for the game is terrible.

9. Christopher January 2, 2012 / 12:15 AM

Your ignorance amaze me, if you don’t care about the game, why are you do mad about leavers?

I got more than 6000 fights achieved and 0 problem with rage quiters.

Some people playing at the iPhone version of the game is hardcore, and just because they are not winning money and fame it doesn’t mean is pointless.

By the way upon 3000 Battle point I never find leavers 🙂

• Jett January 2, 2012 / 1:14 AM

Thank you for the comment Christopher. Glad you enjoy the online mode enough to play over 6,000 matches and don’t have a problem with rage quitters.

Since I wrote this post, Capcom has made changes to reduce the motivation to rage quit, alongside changes to pair people who don’t rage quit with others who don’t generally don’t rage quit. However, it still happens more frequently with the iPhone game than it does with consoles. When did you purchase the game? If you bought it and played it when it first came out, almost every match ended in a rage quit.

Also, while I do take offense to you calling me ignorant (even though in the post I told people to call me ignorant) I will answer your question with the same comment I left the last time a user asked me that question:

“Rage quits don’t make me mad because I lose out on a win and they lose out on a loss (which has since been fixed so that rage quitters do get the loss). What does make me mad is that the person on the other end isn’t mature enough to grasp the concept that they can’t win everything and they cheat their way out of a loss to protect a tainted record with a lot of wins, a handful of real losses, and a bunch of losses that never counted because they ran away. It’s the act of running away that infuriates me more than anything.”

Two more things:

1) Yes, there are hardcore Street Fighter IV: Volt players, such as yourself. There are hardcore gamers of every game in existence. What I meant was, the ratio of casual players to hardcore Street Fighter players is more heavily skewed towards casuals with the iPhone game than the console games. If I wasn’t clear on that point, shame on me.

2) I never said that playing Volt was pointless because there’s no money or fame in it. There’s no money or fame for 99.9% of Street Fighter players, regardless of what system they play it on. If you have fun with it and those points matter to you, then of course there’s a point. I’m just as guilty for chasing the points on the console side, as I’m currently ranked the #1 ranked Rose and Cammy in Canada on XBOX Live and top 20 for both in North America.

However, what I was trying to illustrate was the point that the iPhone win/loss record was not worth protecting through rage quitting or cheating because there are less people who would be impressed with iPhone success than console/arcade success, simply because that’s where the Street Fighter focus is. If you’re playing the iPhone game seriously and those points mean something to you specifically, then that entire paragraph where I talk about Daigo and tournaments wasn’t aimed at you or the serious Volt community at all. But for those protecting their iPhone battle points through cheating so that you can brag about how many points they have or how high their winning percentage is, then that paragraph was totally for them.

I don’t claim to be a Volt expert, but if you want to throw down, write your Game Center gamertag in the comments and I’ll add you. We can battle and you can show me how serious iPhone Street Fighter can be. By chance if you play the console versions, share your 360 or PS3 gamertags and we can tango there too.

10. theadamjames February 16, 2012 / 11:04 AM

I’ve been playing the game awhile and I’ve found the best way to play is to find good players and keep a friend list of them. Trying to play Ranked or random friendly, while you can sometimes find good players, is largely like playing a bunch of special ed. kids. The games are unbearable at low levels because of all the spammers and bad at higher levels because of the ragequitters protecting their BP.

I’m part of the SF4 community over at TouchArcade.com and we have about 40-50 good players (and by good I mean serious, non-RQing, players who have dissected this game the way folks on SRK would the console versions.) I think you’d be very surprised at the level of competition you’d get if you came over and joined us. Everyone’s relaxed, friendly, and serious about the game. We have a thread in the “iPhone and iPod Touch Games” section. To be honest, I probably would have quit playing Volt months ago if it weren’t for the community because the best way to get better is to constantly play good players, and those are really hard to find on Ranked/random Friendly.

Hit me up on GC and let’s play: DoctaMario

• Jett February 16, 2012 / 11:22 AM

Excellent comment! I respect all of your points. I’m not trying to hate on those who take this seriously, though the point stands that the experience is flawed due to the types of people that play it, particularly in ranked.

I have sent over a GC friend request. I may have some skills on the console version, but I am warning you now that they do not translate particularly well on the iPhone. If I get bodied, so be it 🙂

• theadamjames February 16, 2012 / 1:32 PM

Again, I think if I were to judge the game based on the Ranked and Friendly random games, I’d probably have a pretty low opinion of it. But getting to play a lot of really high level players like I have, I’ve seen how even a game as flawed as SF4 can be really good if you’re playing with people who know what they’re doing.

One of the things I think is most interesting about Volt is that, while not all the characters’ strategies translate, Capcom actually gave them some of their most effective moves. And there are certain things you can do on Volt that don’t work on console as well, which I think is kind of fun.

But I just got your FR and am hoping to be around some Wifi in a bit. I’ll send you a request and we can get a few games in if you’re around. 🙂

11. Pat February 20, 2012 / 12:25 AM

the answer is simple. all capcom would have to do is patch the game so that if a player drops a match, their character remains in that match, motionless…and takes the beating that they deserve, which would then go on the books as a loss. It’s what would happen if a real fighter just decided to quit…they’d take a LOSS! simple solution to solve the problem. Another, even simpler one would be to not have friendly matches show up on the player card’s win loss stats. it defeats the purpose of having a friendly match when you know that a loss will go on your player card and stay there permanently… and all you have to do to avoid that is to rage quit. Please Capcom, use both of these ideas and you’ll have a much happier fan base (especially players that take it seriously).

12. Tinygod May 31, 2012 / 12:58 PM

I have just finished reading every post. Here is what I saw:

1) Topic Poster, is being far to respectful. However I assume that, that is here character type.
    2) Anyone attacking hime for being angry about this. Is simply trying to defend the fact that they rage quit. It’s obvious that they are the type of people who would do so. Why you ask? Well for one their TONE. For two their ability to communicate in the written English language. They sound like the children they are.

“Why you soo madds at rage leavers.. whaaattttttt?? You totes don’t undrstandz this gamees”

Learn frakkin Enlglish and then once you’ve mastered the written version of the languate. STFU

Rage quitting is “annoying”. Its not ruining the game itself. However it is ruining the ONLINE play. Compentition with other players is 75% of what the SF series is. I no longer go ONLINE.

I have over the last month.
    1) Beaten or Cleared the game with EVERY CHARACTER.
    2) Done Survival matches with every character. Fighting until I have beaten a minimum of 10 enemies with every single player, during those survival matches.

After that, i’m on to the King of Fighters. And still have my favorite Fighting game MVC-2, downloaded and installed. I’m waiting on the needed changes for the IPHONES controls on that one. until then, I’ll use my fightstick + PS3 to play the MVC series at home.

• Tinygod May 31, 2012 / 1:00 PM

And yeah. Bust out that Spell Checker and be sure to tell me about the obvious typos. I TOTES CARE BOUTS THOSE