Since the start of the pandemic, I’ve harboured a somewhat-rational fear of the COVID-19 test. Besides the educated guess that having something go higher up your nose than your finger would be an unpleasant experience, I actually have prior experience with something in the same realm.
During a time when I suffered from frequent nosebleeds, a specialist analyzed my case by using a camera that went way up there. Between the sensation of feeling the camera sliding deeper into my head and being able to actually see what the inside of my head looks like through the monitor, the idea of anything else going in my nasal cavity is something I’ve wanted to avoid. In my head, I’ve almost built up the test itself to be a bigger concern than actually getting sick.
As of writing, I can’t validate the latter. But now that I’ve experienced the former, I thought I’d share how that went. Especially for those who have concerns about taking a swab up the nose.
Eddie Van Halen redefined what it meant to play the guitar. He cranked out a slew of hits with his band Van Halen while bewildering everyone with his unreal finger gymnastics. Bringing this into the world of video games for a moment, almost every Rock Band or Guitar Hero song that would be classified as Expert difficulty most likely is played in the style that Eddie Van Halen created. There is no “Through the Fire and Flames” without Eddie blazing fretboards decades prior.
His passing on October 6th really hit home for me. I talked about in great detail on stream and I don’t feel comfortable trying to write that out right now. Feel free to watch that segment, which includes baby Jett in diapers, rocking out to the work of Eddie Van Halen. Instead, I just wanted to take a moment to highlight a few of his works that I really enjoy. Whether you’re a bigger fan than I or are completely unfamiliar with his work, I hope you enjoy this collection of music!
We all stream for ice cream! Join Gaming Diaries, Adventure Rules, Later Levels, Switch to Decaf, PlayerTwoStart, Copper Key Cosplay, and I as we eat ice cream and take a deep dive into all of the unique ways people around the world enjoy this delicious treat!
View the full post to see the full stream, highlights, and shoutouts!
Were you expecting something about fave romances in video games? Characters I’d want to date? Maybe a think piece on why there aren’t enough video games about love and romance? I actually explored that last topic years ago and am interested in revisiting it someday.
Forget gaming for today. I want another excuse to talk about love songs. What better time than now? Here’s another playlist for your Valentine’s Day celebrations, however dramatic or low key they may be!
I care very little about Halloween. Always did the bare minimum for dressing up as a kid and bailed on the costumes as soon as I could. Never cared for the children’s stories or grown-up horror movies. If it weren’t for me being married to someone whose favourite holiday is Halloween, I would probably excise the entire thing out of my life.
Well, almost all of it.
The candy can stay. Now that I have a house, handing out candy to the kids that come by in their costumes is a highlight. But more importantly, it’s an excuse to eat candy and junk food! Not that I needed an excuse, but there’s a lot more around this time of year and someone has to eat it. Here’s a list with a few of my faves!
As I watched Nathan Salmon create a pair of amazing art pieces with spray paint for me, two thoughts swirled through my mind.
- Holy cow this process and end result look incredible!
- The basics of what he’s doing don’t look that difficult…
Though I figured that I wouldn’t be able to make the Ninja Turtles pose in front of a city skyline anytime soon, the fundamentals of creating planets, space, and stars seemed doable for a hack like me that’s never spray painted anything in his life. After watching a number of tutorial videos on YouTube, my wife and I bought a bunch of supplies and dedicated an afternoon to creating some spray paint art of our own.
When I think back to my summers in the early 90s, it doesn’t get more iconic than the Super Soaker brand of water guns. In an era where most water guns were little pistols that only shot in short spurts, the Super Soaker revolutionized childhood H20 warfare. With each one possessing a large reservoir and the ability to shoot a continuous stream at a long distance, this was the true beginning for the water guns arms race in my community.
Made this one post for GameCube Week, but it kind of morphed into something else. I’m just gonna post it anyway.
On November 18th, 2001, I walked into a Zellers and bought a GameCube. Five years later, I was in line with my friends at that same Zellers, waiting to pick up our Nintendo Wii pre-orders. Between those two sentences, I did a lot of growing up.
On June 9th, Steff and I will going on a trip to Europe! We’ll be enjoying the sights and sounds of London and Paris for a few weeks. Can’t wait to take a vacation!
That said, I can’t leave you alone! Tons of stuff scheduled to make it feel like I’m not gone at all!
- The website will still have new content going up every day while I’m gone. Two major features will be rolling out: Arcade Week and GameCube Week!
- As awesome as it would be to live stream from Europe, that’s not happening. Instead, I’ll be scheduling in a number of Twitch Premieres. The schedule is as follows:
- June 10th, 7pm EST – LOST TAPES: The Show That Became Boss Rush
- June 12th, 7pm EST – LOST TAPES: NES Classic Mix Featuring Castlevania I and II, Double Dragon II, and Ninja Gaiden!
- June 14th, 7pm EST – In Third Person Comic Book Show Marathon
- June 18th, 7pm EST – Board Game Talk Marathon
- June 20th, 7pm EST – Boss Rush: All Game Show Marathon
- Side note, if you haven’t already, make sure to follow twitch.tv/xdoublejump and twitch.tv/jsick06! Kris and Rachel over at Double Jump run a fantastic show and they stream multiple times a week. As for Jason, he’s probably going to stream something weird and retro that you haven’t seen before!
- Social media updates will be…sporadic. I’ll be taking lots of pictures while I’m out there, and I should have regular access to wifi from our accommodations. If I do post, it will probably be light on gaming-related stuff and more heavy on tourism. But hey, I’m no stranger to deviating from my core content strategy in order to indulge in my other personal interests.
Wishing you all the best while I’m out! We’ll catch up when I get back on the 24th!
Though Steff and I have been plotting this in the background for quite some time, we’re finally at a place where we can talk about it without jinxing anything [knocks on wood]! During the middle of June, we’ll be spending a few days in London and Paris!